Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Friends...continued

I've been thinking about this friend thing. What makes a good friend? What better place to look for answers than my Bible. Here is what I read...

Prov. 17:17 says that a friend loves at all times

Prov. 18:24 says a friend sticks closer than a brother

Prov. 27:10 says never to forsake your friend

John 15:13 says that there is no greater love than to lay your life down for your friends

James 4:4 says that being a friend of the world means being an enemy of God

Jesus was/is a friend to sinners.

Jesus had a close, selfless friendship with His disciples.

What I didn't find in any of the verses I looked at was anything pointing back to self. It didn't say "friends are those who are there when you need them" or anything like that. I think mostly we think about what our friends do for us, rather than what we will do for them. Is this how it should be? I don't think so. Is this how I am? Sometimes. More times than I'd like to admit. Just something to think about.

Anyway, I gotta go...I've been on the computer way too much today!

No comments: