Monday, May 19, 2008

Friends

I find that the older I get, the harder it is to find true friends. Today for a particular reason I have just been thinking about friendship and what friendship really means. I am finding out what it means. I think about the 2 best friends that I have, Ross and my sister, and what makes them good friends. I don't know too many people who will put someone above themselves, but my husband is one of those people. He knows me, the good and the bad, and he loves me through it all. And of course we talk about everything! He is the person I share my thoughts, hopes, dreams, disappointments, hurts, frustrations, not to mention my joys with....and more. He encourages, supports me and genuinely cares for me. There are so many things that make him a good friend. Much more than I can name here. He is truly the greatest man I have ever known. And then I think about my sister who is a good friend, but in a different way. We share this bond, I can't describe it. She understands me and supports me as well. If I needed her, she would be there no matter what. And I can talk to her about anything. Of course there are many more reasons, those are just the first that pop into my head. I just keep thinking about those things and what it means for me to be a good friend, too. I hope I am as good a friend to them as they are to me.

I also find that people that I once thought were true friends really aren't. I guess our definition of friend changes as we get older because we change. What we once had in common with someone, we may not have in common with years later. Sometimes I get sad when thinking about this, but then I remember that change is good. I am so glad I am not the person I was 5 years ago.

True friends are hard to find. I am so very blessed to have the friends I do have in my life.

Oh, and update on Little Dog (the stray dog we picked up this weekend--see the post below). The lady with the rescue came and picked him up tonight and says she will find him a foster home and in the future, a forever home. Yay! I am so glad. But Fiona misses her buddy. She was whining and kept looking out the window expecting him to come back. So sad. Hopefully we will be able to get her a boxer buddy real soon.

No comments: