Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sweet years

This past weekend we went into Memphis to celebrate Ross' grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. Wow! 60 years! That is just amazing to me. We all surprised Granddad and Grandma Fergus by showing up at their church for the Sunday morning worship. Then, at the end of the service (also to their surprise), they again exchanged their vows in front of the congregation, just as they had done 60 years before. It was really sweet. I even got a little teary eyed, watching Grandma Mary choke up while saying her vows. After the service, we all gathered for a reception honoring them and their anniversary. The whole day was sweet and I was so glad to be a part of it. (Sadly I did not take any pictures. I am waiting to get some from my mother-in-law, though!)

60 years is an amazing thing. In a day where all I hear about is divorce, it's so touching to see a couple stay together as God intended it. What a testimony to us younger generations! I also thought about my marriage. It's only been 2 years, but I pray that there will be 60...even more! I thank God that I have married my best friend, and the love of my life. I can't help but picture us as an old couple, hobbling around arm in arm, watching our grandkids and hopefully great grandkids grow up. What a sweet blessing that would be.

No comments: