Friday, June 15, 2007

1st Anniversary

The road traveled…

Ross and I celebrated our first anniversary recently, on June 4th. It’s a weird thing, celebrating a wedding anniversary. Weird in a good way though. It’s weird because partly, the past year has flown by. At one point in my life, time seemed to be standing still and now it’s going so fast I can hardly keep up. Also, it’s weird because I think about how far we’ve come in only a year. While time seems to be speeding by at lightening speed, Ross and I have grown so much since our wedding day. Don’t get me wrong, we have so much more growing to do…and we’re not perfect. But, to know that God has given me this one person and me to him; this one is the man that God chose just for me! How special is that! And I love my life with him. I love our lives together. We have 4 kitties, live in Arkansas and life could not be better.

Things I have learned in the past year:
-loving someone when they’re not lovable is hard, but not impossible

-forgiveness is KEY

-sometimes you just need space

-throw out ALL of your relationship/love expectations

-live in reality, not in fantasy

-don’t spend your time wishing he did this or wishing he did that, but be thankful for what he does do

-laughing and joking together creates a strong bond

-jealousy and insecurity doesn’t do anything good, it will only make you crazy

-God should always be center, the foundation, the glue that holds you together

-be the supporter, the encourager, the helper

-build him up, don’t tear him down

-don’t be passive! Have an opinion, tell how you feel

-spending time alone with your girlfriends will keep you sane; it’s very healthy!

And

-Praying together will keep your marriage strong

Wow, there is so much more, but I bet you’re tired of reading. :) I am learning more and more everyday how to do this thing called marriage.


The road ahead…

Well, I know I’ll keep learning and hopefully growing as the years go on. I want so much for Ross and I to exude a godly marriage to our children so that someday they too will have a healthy marriage. So many kids don’t know what a healthy marriage looks like because there are so many dysfunctional ones out there. I want to be a good role model for our little ones. But, I know I will mess up. I know I will fail at times. I know I’ll screw our kids up like the rest of them. But, that’s ok. They will work through it and maybe even grow a little as a result too. :)

I was told the other day that the next thing I know, Ross and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary. I hope not. I hope that there is time for me to cherish every moment of the years to come. I want the years to go by slowly so that we can really enjoy them. However, James says our lives are like a vapor, that appears for a little while and then vanishes away.



No comments: